Many budget travelers assume that a multi-city European vacation is beyond their means, but that is often not the case. The large number of budget airlines that have sprung up in Europe in recent years have dropped the average cost of airfare between many major European cities.
In some cases, the cost of coach airfare between major European hubs like London and Amsterdam is lower than a comparable first or even second class train ticket.
And of course flying between cities is far less time consuming than taking the train or driving yourself, and that means more time to explore the places you’ve always wanted to see, as well as more money to spend once you get there.
The key to getting the best airfares, both from the United States to destinations in Europe, and between European destinations, is to shop around and compare carefully.
Most major American air carriers have partnerships with one or more European airlines, and therefore it is often possible to shop airfares between European cities from the web sites of these airlines.
In addition, the major European only airlines all have their own web sites, and most provide for online booking and confirmation as well. This makes it easy to line up all your airfare before you leave the United States.
This is an important consideration, since it is often more difficult, and more expensive, to book airline tickets or train tickets after you have arrived in Europe.
The choice of European cities you plan to visit can also have a major impact on airfare between destinations. Many of the low cost European air carriers are based in London, so it is often considerably less costly to fly from London than to fly from many other major European cities.
Therefore, many budget travelers choose to make London their primary destination, and to take two and three day trips from there to the places they have always wanted to see.
While it is possible to get great deals from other European gateways, it is often more difficult than flying to and from London.
Just as American airlines have their own major gateways, such as New York, Los Angeles and Atlanta, so too do budget European airlines.
Planning your visit around these hub cites is often the best way to get the lowest possible airfares between European cities.
Flying within Europe is surprisingly affordable for way for many budget travelers to get around.
Many first time travelers to Europe, and some seasoned travelers as well, are shocked to find just how affordable it is to fly around Europe.
- Travel Europe – Eurostar Opens Up Europe From London ... vacationing in the UK. You can rocket to over 100 destinations across France, Belgium or the Netherlands.
Speed from London at just under 200 miles...
- Travel Europe – EuroStar Opens Up Europe From London. ... or vacationing in the UK. You can rocket to over 100 destinations across France, Belgium or the Netherlands.
Speed from London at just under 200 miles an...
- People Expect a Travel Deal From Northwest Airlines ... , Toronto, Hong Kong, Athens, Brussels, Shanghai, Costa Rica, Cozumel, Jamaica, San Juan, Paris, Rome, and London.
On the Northwest website, you will also find...
- Cheap Airfares in Europe, not so Much in America ... in Europe, you have airlines like Ryanair that offer incredibly cheap airline tickets between many European cities. You can go from London to Paris for fifty bucks, as...
- Five Affordable World Travel Destinations ... year. The
competition for customers usually drives costs down for everything from lodging
to tour packages. Airfares between
major hubs tend to be more affordable...